I recently purchased a small bulk lot of common U.S. revenue stamps on eBay, and in it there were about 1000 Scott # R152a and R152b (no R152c sadly), and decided to use it as an opportunity to do some flyspecking.
I’ve not seen any definitive references to plate varieties on R152; it wasn’t included in the Shift Hunter Letters. There have been a couple of brief articles in The American Revenuer, showcased below.
For each stamp I show an image, a second copy of the same image but with arrows showing the diagnostic points, high-res cutouts, and then a link to a 3200dpi high-resolution image of the full stamp.
If anyone has other types of R152 varieties or any platings/references, please send them to me. Thanks.
You may need to click on images to view them at full size.
Mentioned in this 1966 TAR article:
1. Doubled frameline at upper right; twisted transfer or a recutting?
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5401.jpg
2. Doubled frameline at upper left.
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5402.jpg
3. Another doubled frameline at upper left.
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5403.jpg
4. A doubled frameline at bottom.
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5404.jpg
5. This one is likely a printing anomaly rather than a plate variety. Many of the details along the left side are mushy, possibly the result of the paper bouncing against the plate? Also some muddiness in the portrait.
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5405.jpg
6. A tool gouge or plate crack in the numeral 2 at bottom, but also some anomalies in the NTS of CENTS.
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5406.jpg
7. Extra frame/guide line at upper right.
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5407.jpg
8. Presumably the Scott-listed double transfer.
From the July 1985 issue of The American Revenuer:
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5408.jpg
9. And a more bold example.
High-res image: https://revenue-collector.com/zoomify/5409.jpg